Thursday, January 19, 2006

Kate To The Rescue

Yesterday I had an appointment for an Echo-scan at the Freeman hospital. This had been arranged back in November and to be quite honest I’m not sure why they still wanted me to have it considering the MRI scans I have had previously. Never mind, it was an excuse to get out of the house so I was looking forward to it in a perverse sort of way. I popped into Town first to have a bit of a wander and bumped into Jean, my mother-in-law, who had been stood up by one of her WI cronies. She had been waiting for a good hour with still no sign of her friend. I asked her if she had called her friend on her mobile but got an embarrassed admission that she had left it at home so was unable to find out if the problem had been major or minor. I left her as she headed off to Fenwicks to get something to eat and I assume everything has worked out because she hasn’t been on the phone to pass on any bad news to Gill.

At the Freeman I spotted Kate, a secretary who used to work at NGH with me, and she waved me over. I gave her the run down of my current problems and she informed me that she was now working in the cardio unit and would I like her to check out the situation regarding my referral to a surgeon? Not half! So she took my contact details and promised to phone once she had done some snooping. The Echo itself went without problem, I think, but the operator was being tight lipped and she wouldn’t talk me through the scans as they came up, shame.

True to her word Kate phoned me today as soon as she found out what was happening. Apparently I have been referred to a Mr Hassan but have yet to be allocated a clinic appointment to see him so Kate was going to lay it on thick with the secretary to move things on for me. I dread to think what someone who has no contacts within the NHS has to go through to set the wheels in motion. What I do know though is that I will be a lot more tolerant with patients’ queries regarding appointments when I do eventually make it back to work.

No comments: