Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Menses the Merciless?

As part of the deal with the renal consultants regarding my return to work I agreed that my GP should be involved in the decision on my suitability for work. So yesterday I phoned the surgery to try and secure an appointment with the GP who has been dealing with my sick notes and prescriptions. I foolishly assumed that if I had been requested by my consultant to see a particular GP then the surgery would make sure such a consultation was possible, pah.

The GP in question is in surgery two days next week, Tuesday and Friday, but I was informed that all her pre-booked slots had been filled and I would be unable to book anything for those days yet. Rather what I would have to do was hang on the phone from 12:00 on Monday to try and book an appointment with the GP then for the following day and if that failed try the same thing on Thursday for Friday’s clinic. My protestations that this was something that my consultant had requested I do fell on deaf ears and I was told that “this is the way the system works for everyone”. Or not as the case may prove to be.

On a lighter note there has been some of the most fun to be had on both television and radio recently in the form of the news bulletins, no seriously, try this at home it will be fun for all the family. All you have to do is wait for the part in the bulletin where they discuss the impending Liberal Democrat leadership battle and see how many times the reporters miss pronounce Sir Menzies Campbells name. Yesterday during a Radio 5 Live broadcast I counted 5 different efforts in the space of 2-3 minutes, some by the same reporters. We had Ming, Menace, Mingis, Menses and Menzies, just think of the confusion with the voting public, the guy doesn’t stand a chance.

No comments: