Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Drugs Don’t Work

The last few weeks have been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Whilst I have enjoyed the Christmas festivities and some very entertaining visits to various friends’ houses I have, generally, been under a bit of a cloud. This cloud appeared in the run up to Christmas and has stayed with me ever since. It hasn’t been a depressive type of cloud rather the unable to sleep through the night type which has led me to feel very tired and run down during the day. It all started with the introduction of some new medication prescribed by my renal consultant. So armed with a steely determination to try and sort it I headed to Freeman yesterday to see said consultant.

Now if you’ve been reading my previous posts you will know that I have employed a bit of top brass muscle to try and speed my journey toward good health so I wasn’t too surprised that, rather than my usual consultant, I was seen by the head of the renal department. He was very good and listened to my concerns regarding my sleep pattern and agreed to try another type of medication to see if that alleviated the problem. He also hinted at a bit of antagonism toward the cardiac unit with regard to the length of time things were taking and is writing to them to try and speed up the process even further.

I have a feeling I may have upset one or two people in my efforts to get things moving and from what this new consultant inferred my ‘case’ has even gone as far as Len Fenwick, the Chief Executive of the Trust, oops. Still, we don’t get many perks working in the NHS and it is in the best interest of the Trust to get me back to work as soon as possible. On the subject of which I have been told that if my sleeplessness improves over the next week or so I can go back to work before my operation, which is great news.

Elsewhere, the back room tidying project remains very much ongoing and is likely to be so for a while.

No comments: