Sunday, July 02, 2006

Feels Like 1998

As I mentioned in my last post the Tour de France started yesterday minus several of its competitors including the two favourites Jan Ulrich and Ivan Basso. Both have been implicated in a doping scandal that has been unearthed in Spain and the Tour is facing its darkest days since the Festina scandal of 1998.

I have been a follower of the race since the days of 15 minute highlights each Saturday on World of Sport. In those days I didn’t really understand what it was all about but loved the spectacle provided by the likes of Eddy Merckx. As television coverage of the race became more comprehensive with the introduction of Channel 4 I gained a new found respect for the athletes who braved this most gruelling of challenges. However the shadow of drug misuse/abuse has never been far away from the sport or the race casting doubt on the legitimy of all involved.

I hope, against all odds, that the race this year manages to overcome its bad start and the start of the post Lance Armstrong era produces race and a champion who will be talked about for all the right reasons. Spanish rider Alejandro Valverde suffers the handicap of being my tip this year and, with the recent suspensions, is also now race favourite.

No comments: