Thursday, March 16, 2006

Still Here....Still Waiting

Well let’s get the apologies for my lack of posting out of the way first...sorry. This is down to a combination of factors but primarily due to a continued problem with my internet access at home and a general antipathy to do anything other than survive my days at work and try and get as much sleep at night as possible. I have no idea what the problem is with my dial up connection but I’m getting broadband access as of next week so that won’t be a problem for much longer, he says with fingers crossed. As for my lack of get up and go that has been down to the seemingly interminable wait to see the surgeon and get any sort of timescale for my surgery. A wait which thankfully came to an end this week.

The surgeon was very pleasant and informative going through all the possible side effects: 1/300 chance of paraplegia, less than 1% chance of death during surgery (he informed me that he hasn’t lost anyone yet), 5% chance of severe pain in my scar and a 50% chance of contracting a chest infection. The upshot is that I’ve signed consent for the surgery and am on 24hr telephone standby to go in as soon as a theatre slot and intensive care bed become available. In reality that could be anytime from today until mid summer but more likely to be sooner rather than later.

I’m not sure how my body/mind has reacted to the news. In some ways I feel as if a great wait has been lifted from my shoulders but equally I feel drained as if I now don’t have anything to drag my sorry ass towards and unable to concentrate on anything without my thoughts drifting towards my surgery. So basically I feel knackered, up-beat and distracted all at the same time. Ideal for working in the light hearted, concern free world of clinical trials.

On the subject of clinical trials the recent news of 6 men fighting for their lives after taking a new drug in a trial has caused concern that we are going to be in for a difficult time recruiting volunteers for our studies. Entering into a clinical trial is never an easy decision for a patient to make and tragedies like this can only make that decision harder. At the moment the reason for the severe reactions suffered has yet to be determined but it looks as if there has been a dosing error either in the manufacturing or prescribing of the drug or the initial laboratory tests have been compromised in some way. My thoughts go to all the victims, their families and friends and also the staff at the trail centre involved.

No comments: