Monday, February 20, 2006

Presents

Over the weekend Gill and I tried to put our new positive attitude to work and actually do something rather than sit moping around. We started by popping up to the local Post Office depot to collect a couple of packages that we missed through the week. One was a package containing my dads’ birthday present and the others were my birthday presents from Gill.

For my dad we had purchased some folders and wallets to hold Birth/Death Certificates etc for his genealogy documents. My dad has been looking into our family history for a number of years now and has accrued a vast number of certificates. Gill, who is also a keen genealogist, had purchased some for herself a while back and found them a great help in keeping things organised. We had bought some for my dad at Christmas and he liked the idea so much he asked for further sets for his birthday.

On the way down from the depot we popped into Tesco’s to pick up something for lunch and a bunch of flowers for my mam. I could tell she has not taken the current situation with my Gran particularly well and I thought the flowers might just brighten her day a little. It turns out that the doctors are not sure my Gran has had a stroke now and feel the lack of power in her hand may be down to the fact that she lay on her arm for a couple of hours cutting of the blood supply to her hand. How long it takes for her to get back to the sheltered housing is uncertain because with her shoulder possibly broken and arm strapped up she is unable to self care. I just hope my mam has learnt her lesson and doesn’t offer to look after her because that would be a thankless, painful chore.

Getting back home Gill allowed me to open my pressies even though my birthday is over a month away. In truth I knew what was in the packages because I had been bleating on about them for so long Gill just bought them to shut me up I think. The first package contained World of Warcraft an online multiplayer computer game and the second a guide to the game. I have played a couple of times over at Billy & Steph’s and Graeme and Sam’s and I’m totally hooked. It must be the easiest way to lose several hours without being aware of it known to man and as such looked like the ideal thing to keep me occupied whilst I’m recuperating from my surgery.

There are of course a couple of problems which will have to be addressed in order for this to be possible. As things currently stand I can’t actually play the game at home because neither my computer nor internet connection are anywhere near good enough to support the game. I have purchased a couple of computer magazines to check out the latest gear and it looks as if I’m facing a bill of about £1200 to secure something that wont become obsolete in a couple of months as far as gaming is concerned. This is more than I had hoped but there is no point in buying something which won’t get the job done. Looking at broadband providers they all seem to be much of a muchness so I think I will just upgrade my Virgin account.

Of course I’m going to need somewhere to put all this gear so Sunday saw renewed efforts to clear the back bedroom of 10 years of accumulated crap. I tackled this as Gill worked her way around the other dumping points throughout the house. We both made really good progress and achieved quite a bit before fatigue kicked in. I think a couple of other sessions of similar length will see the problem sorted and we can then make arrangements to get telephone lines sorted and computers ordered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Can't wait to see you online (-:
Steph

Chris said...

Steph, until this gets sorted you may get a sad geek boy pleading to use your gear to get a fix!