Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Cold Light Of Morning

So how do I feel today after what was a surprisingly good night’s sleep? Well, still mightily frustrated it has to be said, but also depressingly resigned to the situation. In an effort to limit any damage I emailed the secretary and apologised for any potential upset or distress I may have caused her and explained that, whilst not excusing any potential offence, my actions were totally the result of stress and frustration. I hope this draws a line under the matter because, frankly, my health is enough to worry about at the moment without any peripheral issues.

Gill and I made a pact last night to try and be a little more proactive about the situation and actually try and live something of a life during the next 4 weeks. We are both aware that this year has been a non event with regards to any sort of social interaction as we have both slipped deeper into our protective cocoons to the exclusion of both friends and family. The situation has not been helped by the fact that I only received half pay for most of last month due to accumulated sickness absence but hell you only live once and if I try really, really hard I can see that I should have a long life ahead of me that can help pay for today.

I also received a phone call from Donna last night whilst Gill was out pandering to her bosses whims; you’re a slave driver Ed! Donna has been a good friend to Gill and I for more years than I care to remember and isn’t having the best of times herself at the moment. We spent an hour and a half putting the world to rights and I think it did us both the power of good to get things off our chests. We are both looking forward to the impending gig by the Drive By Truckers at the Cluny and sounded like a pair of excited schoolgirls with Westlife tickets. I think Donna may have pulled that particular impersonation off with slightly more success than I did though. Hello Donna, if you’re watching :-)

No comments: