Saturday, December 10, 2005

Napoleons Columns

I really enjoyed my day on Thursday although the exertion did leave me somewhat bushed at the end of it all and I slept like a babe. Yesterday I was due to meet up with people from work again, this time for our Christmas night out. I was originally going to miss this because I was supposed to be in Budapest this weekend but doctors orders mean I could now go.

The venue was the Big Mussel, next to St James’ Park, which is as you may have guessed primarily a mussel restaurant but one which does a multitude of other dishes. I had been to the branch at the quayside before but not this one so it was nice to compare. The style of both the food and décor is very bistro, which is good, although the prices are a little higher, but not wildly so, and it was Christmas so what the heck. One of our Consultants very kindly offered to pay the drinks bill for which I, unlike some unfortunately, made a point of thanking him for despite his protestations that I didn’t drink enough to get a gnat pissed never mind a Christmas reveller.

The food was fine; I had an avocado and crab salad starter followed by steamed sea bass and finished off with a Belgian waffle and ice cream, all very pleasant. The bill, as always at these do’s, was split somewhat contentiously i.e. evenly which rightly annoyed those who had chosen from the cheaper set menu and who had also missed out on their coffee and mince pie from that menu. This sort of thing always happens so I kept well out of the way of any possible ‘discussions’, after all I had had very little to drink and hate arguing with pissed people whilst sober.

I did have a great night and almost felt as if I was back to normal and that I didn’t have my medical condition hanging over me, it was nice to escape. Through the course of the night I was privy to detailed discussions over the tactics employed at the Battle of Waterloo, why Nicki is much happier pissed than sober, the merits of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and who would fall over first, David or Peter? The last couple of days have really lifted my mood and I definitely don’t feel as grumpy today, which has lifted Gills mood as well.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Begone foul spam person.