Wednesday, December 28, 2005

As Black As Midnight On A Moonless Night

Hello, yes, I’m still alive and well but have been so busy/lazy that I have been unable to make any trips into the dreaded back room and the PC. First of all Merry Christmas to anyone who stumbles upon this, I hope you all had a peaceful and heart-warming few days.

Plenty has happened since my last post but to be honest I’m too busy/lazy to go back and write individual entries so I’ll just supply you with a potted history of a few of my Crimbo shenanigans.

I received a phone call from the hospital on the 20th asking me to attend a cardiac clinic the following afternoon. The upshot of the visit is that I have been referred to a surgeon and can expect my operation sometime in February or March but in the meantime they are happy for me to return to work…yippee! I’m due to see the renal people on the 9th of Jan so as long as they are in concordance I should be back to the grind on the 10th, about bloody time. The consultant seemed to think my recovery period after the op would be about 3 months so I don’t want to be off too long before then.

Christmas day was its usual hectic but enjoyable self. Getting up around 7 Gill and I had a couple of hours to ourselves to open presents and prepare for the coming day. First stop was my parents where we exchanged gifts and drank copious amounts of tea with them and my youngest sister before heading up to Gosforth and my eldest sisters’ house. From there it was off to Westerhope to pick up Jean, Gills mum, who was having Christmas lunch with us this year. Back in Wallsend we tucked into Rib-Eye steaks with herb roasted potatoes and parsnip, caramelised carrots, pate stuffed field mushrooms, onion marmalade and a port and redcurrant jus…mmmmmmm!!!

Our day still not over we then headed up to Cramlington and Gills cousin Doug’s place. All of Gills side of the family congregate here every year for food, wine and a damn fine natter. We always have a quiz of some kind and as always I won which is now becoming tedious to both me and everyone else. I did try to throw it and allow the team of young nieces to win but they were having a ‘mare so rather than let someone else win… I keep telling them if they did a quiz about soap operas I would finish last but they never listen.

Yesterday was spent playing a few of our presents and generally taking things easy. We watched David Lynch’s Fire Walk with Me on DVD before going bed, both being Twin Peaks lovers. Whilst we both enjoyed it in a ‘God I wish I was drunker’ kind of way anyone who watches it without any prior knowledge of Twin Peaks would have been screwed. Speaking of Twin Peaks, isn’t it about time you released Season 2 on DVD David? Get you finger out mate!

No comments: