Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Future is Beige

Although you may imagine my life is currently running at a snails pace whilst I await dates for further tests and surgery nothing could have been further from the truth over the last few days. Monday saw my latest visit to see the renal people up at the Freeman Hospital and, all in all, they are very pleased with how things are progressing. My blood pressure continues to fall as does the creatinine level in my blood so this, tied to the fact they are no longer concerned that I may have a papiloedema, has allowed them to lift my alcohol ban.

It’s funny but after having gone nearly 2 months without a drink I wasn’t as desperate to have that first pint as I would have thought. Truth be told there have only been a couple of occasions when I have missed the ability to partake, my brother and sisters 40th birthday do, a couple of meals and once wandering around town. I have missed the caffeine kick from my coffee far more, decaf is no substitute. I never thought I would say that, strange the things you learn about yourself during times like these. That’s not to say I have remained tee total since then, oh no. I did have 3 pints on Tuesday after wandering around town all day buying Christmas presents. I was much more successful this week than last with my purchasing attempts, thankfully, and the beer just capped a good day.

I’d met up with Graeme White in the early afternoon and after picking up a couple of things it was decided a beer was in order. I’d just assumed we would go to the Duke because, well, that’s where we always go but, and it’s a big but, Graeme informed me the Duke had undergone the dreaded ‘refurbishment’. According to Graeme this refurbishment has consisted of ripping out all the endearing features of the pub such as the wood panelling, glass screens and Duke of Wellington themed artwork, replacing it all with a slap of beige paint. They also appear to have cut back on the number of ales they serve. I don’t know, you let these people out of you sight for a couple of weeks and…. bastards! So we headed to the Haymarket and the Crown Posada. Nice ale and good company but I could have killed for a double espresso.

Next week I hope to tie up all the shopping that is required and spend some time relaxing. I’ve had an invite from Sid Smith to pop around for a cup of tea and a chat so I’ll have do drop him a line and organise that. I also have an invite to the Charlie Bear Christmas Auction, an annual event held at work to raise funds for the unit. I always end up bidding for something so I’ll have to make sure I don’t get too excited and screw my blood pressure up. Finally, Friday is the Trials Unit Christmas night out and I’m going to go along to that. I was originally going to miss it because Gill and I were due to be in Budapest but as we had to cancel that…

Oh and also…

Newcastle United were in action last night… no lets start that gain…Newcastle United turned up, just, for their game against Wigan last night. I don’t know what to say so I’ll leave it to the guys from NUFC.com.

Disgraceful

Wigan Res 1 Newcastle 0

Diabolical, deplorable, dreadful, shocking, pitiful, pathetic, embarrassing, unbelievable, dismal, feeble, useless, awful, appalling, abysmal, shameful, astonishing, staggering, atrocious, inexcusable.

You take your pick, but words simply cannot describe the depths to which this team fell tonight at the JJB Stadium.

The 1-0 scoreline flattered us. If we'd been 4-0 down by half-time we couldn't have complained after a first half that beggared belief.

Wigan's second string (their team had nine changes from the one beaten by Spurs) outclassed the strongest team we could muster to an alarming degree. At one stage the corner count was 11-0 in favour of the home side.

The fact that it took a dubious late penalty for our fate to be sealed was totally incidental as only some poor finishing and some decent stops by Shay Given had kept us in the game.

To say that we were ragged would be something of an understatement.

This was as close as you get to a bye into the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup and we blew it big time.

Where does that leave the current manager and his band of merry men? Well the half-time boos turned into cat-calls and cries of "we want Souness out" by the final whistle.

The Chairman was left in no doubt about current feeling when around 40 fans surrounded his Range Rover as it got stuck in traffic leaving the ground, chanting "Souness out".

Saturday is likely to see two sets of irate fans turning on their managers, should they still be there by then, of course....

What I want to know is can I sue them for ruining all the good work done by my blood pressure medication?

No comments: