Friday, December 02, 2005

Got The Goat

I spent this morning in the company of my parents as we ventured up to Newcastle to sample the wares of the farmers market. Both my mam and dad make this journey every time the market visits in order to stock up their meat for the freezer but I’m usually stuck at work and have only been able to make it once before. I was after some cuts of meat with which to make hearty winter stews but was really open to anything that caught my eye. In the end I was very pleased with my haul, a couple of packs of dry cured bacon, an ox tail, a couple of lamb shanks and, the joker in the pack, a neck of goat. I’ve never eaten goat before but the farmer said it would make an excellent tagine so what the hell.

It was nice spending time with my parents, it is something I am conscious of not doing enough of. I’ve no real excuse; they only live a 15 minute walk away. Knowing now just how fragile your grip on life can be it’s about time I made more of an effort to pop around more regularly. It’s something I think we would all enjoy and benefit from.

No comments: