Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Sword and The Broad Beast

So after yesterdays review of Billy’s disc we come to that supplied by Rob. As I would have expected this offering follows much more of a Classic Rock route than that of Billy and to my ears much better than his 2005 offering. OK on to the review, I give you ‘The Sword and The Broad Beast’...

Space Ship One – Paul Gilbert. This is the one artist that Rob has raved about whenever I have spoken to him this year, non-stop. I was never a huge fan of either of Gilbert’s previous bands Mr Big and Racer X, finding them inoffensive but far from riveting and I guess I feel the same about this. It is very well played stuff that reminds me slightly of Triumph but doesn’t excite me that much, I would happily sit through an album but don’t think I would buy unless I saw it in a bargain bin somewhere.

Come On Up – Girlschool. I was surprised that this lot were still playing never mind recording so I wasn’t expecting this. An updated sound for the girls who are obviously trying to please both old fans and any newer rock fans who stumble across this. Have they succeeded? Well I guess they have to an extent. Would I buy the album after I’ve heard this? No.

Moment of Truth – Bob Catley. You know exactly what you are going to get with Bob, well written, well produced, AOR tinged, hard rock and that’s just what we have here. OK so his voice is not what it used to be but it is still miles better than most vocalists out there trying to produce this sort of stuff and it always brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it.

Control Freak – Roxie 77. Not what I expected to hear on a CD from Rob in that it is a very modern punk/pop/rock track in the vein of Blink 182, Sum 41 et al. The vocalist reminds me of someone but I’m damned if I can pinpoint who just yet. I would be interested to hear more from them.

Rock ‘n’ Roll – Michael Schenker Group. Despite all the crap surrounding Schenker he still occasionally pulls off a blinder, just not this time. It’s not a bad track by any stretch but just not great. The vocals by Graham Bonnet (?) are better than we have heard on an MSG release for a while but where is the solo Michael?

Starlight – Muse. One of the more accessible songs on their latest album and this brings back great memories of a sea of bouncing heads at the Arena.

Heaven and Hell – Benedictum. I still can’t quite believe that this is a female vocalist, but it is, apparently. This is a very nice cover version of the Black Sabbath classic in that it does not just give us a note for note reproduction but they put their own spin on things.

Night of Passion – The Poodles. Yeehaa, it’s the 1980’s all over again, at least that’s what the Poodles would have us believe. They are perhaps the most hyped melodic rock act at the moment along with Wig Wam and they do capture the sound well but I don’t think they will go on to have a lasting or particularly successful career. Lightweight froth...but harmless.

Pay Me My Money Down – Bruce Springsteen. This is more like it. A great drinking tune that sounds as if the band had been practicing for some time. I much prefer Springsteen doing this looser stuff than the MOR rock radio fare he is better known for.

Hard Rock Hallelujah – Lordi. I love the Eurovision Song Contest anyway but this year was something special as Finland gave us a night to remember. I hold my hands up and admit that I did vote for this lot. Twice.

Gonna Get You Someday – Wig Wam. Although they pretty much follow the same formula as The Poodles I think they pull it off slightly better. You send the whole song picking out eighties bands they sound like with Bon Jovi being the most obvious on this track.

Not Ready To Make Nice – Dixie Chicks. When I first heard this I thought it was Maria McKee so they can’t be half bad. I really enjoyed this and will definitely check them out further.

Boneman – From Behind. Featuring one time Samson vocalist Nicky Moore and Manny Charlton once of Nazareth, From Behind offer up an album of good blues rockers. I don’t think is the best track on the album but still well worth a listen.

It’s Not Me – Paul Stanley. Great pop/rock from the Kiss front man. It’s well to be seen where the musical talent lies in the Kiss camp. If he compares this to his own solo release I bet Mr Simmons is spitting blood.

Fighter’s Fist – Taz Taylor Band. Another blues rocker this time with Graham Bonnet on vocals. Graham has had a long, fairly successful career and it is beginning to show just how long in his voice. Still this is better than a lot of stuff from more hyped acts...The Answer, Roadster anyone?

Scattergun – Web Wilder. Now this is a little different, and some. A story song along the lines of Floyd Cramer’s Big Bad John or Stan Ridgway’s Camouflage. I like this, it made me smile.

Rock Bottom – House of Lords. This is really just James Christian and a few hired hands and it sounds like it .

Alive – Meat Loaf. This is typical ML, throwing everything into the mix and hoping to come out with a grandiose masterpiece. It didn’t work in the case of the awful piece of clichéd crap.

Down By the River – UFO. Ah, my favourite band of all time with a track from their new album The Monkey Puzzle. I didn’t get the album when I first heard it and I still don’t get this now. There are some great vocals here, great guitar passages and an excellent rhythm section underpinning it all but the end result is less than the sum of its parts, shame.


There wasn’t a lot on this that I didn’t like, some stuff I could take or leave and a few things I will make an effort to hunt out, very similar to my reaction to Billy’s disc. Tomorrow I will hopefully post my views on Paul’s disc which would complete this years selections.

2 comments:

milphogg said...

listen to ufo shoot shoot .....then to paul gilbert space ship no1...familiar???

ps -where's my CD?!!

Chris said...

CD posted to Paul and yourself today