Sunday, January 14, 2007

Hot And Heavy

Well what a great night Friday turned out to be good food, good company and too much to drink, a great combination. To be honest after a pretty crappy day at work half of me just wanted to soak in the bath and get an early night in but luckily the other half won the argument and off I went to the great NWOBHM curry get together.

I wasn’t sure how well I would fit in to be honest; these guys had known each other for years and all are still playing whereas I met some of them a couple of times and I haven’t picked up my guitar in the year since I was diagnosed. I needn’t have worried as everyone was more than welcoming and the conversation was general enough to allow me to add my two pennies worth, surprising them on occasion with snippets of info I threw into the mix.

Not surprisingly the conversation centred on music both past and present with stories of missed opportunities rubbing shoulders with those of lucky escapes. Poor Ian McCormack, not present and unable to defend himself, came in for some severe ribbing for his exploits from his time occupying the drum stool with Satan (may have been Pariah or both but let’s face it they are the same band anyway). The falling asleep on the toilet story in particular had everyone choking on their drink and wishing they weren’t eating, cheers Russ. Another highlight was our table serenading Kev to the strains of Angel Witch as he came back to the table from the loos much to the confusion of all the other punters and Kev’s great annoyance.

With the poor waiters wanting to return Khan’s to some semblance of normality we departed to the Corner House for further libation whilst waiting for our cabs. The general consensus was that the evening had been a great success and we should all make an effort to repeat the proceedings in the not too distant future i.e. we may get around to it sometime next year.

Both Kev and Russ came back to my place afterwards in a cunning ploy to get one of them to restring my guitar which had been A string less since a cack handed retune in December. Well that and the fact that Gill would have killed me if she had missed the opportunity to see Kev before he headed back to sleepy Kent on Tuesday. The usual digging into the CD collection to find stuff they might like ensued and I scored big time with Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain. OK so it was a safe choice but surprisingly neither of them had heard the whole thing. The Coheed and Cambria DVD also went down quite well especially as Kev was planning to blow a shed load of money on a Gibson Explorer the following day.

The night’s proceedings came to an end at about 3am when it was decided that any further intake of alcohol would prohibit the passage of neural impulses to our leg muscles. Packing Russ and Kev on their way I made my way to bed and after sleeping through most of Saturday I eventually returned to some semblance of sobriety on Sunday.

No comments: