Friday, April 07, 2006

At Last

Well I think the last two days have taken their toll and I’m not heading to the beer fest today. Yesterdays trip was very enjoyable and I think I’ve tasted everything I had wanted to anyway so being absolutely pooped I’m going to give it a miss. I also don’t want to push my body too far; I don’t think it will react well to much more pushing. Plus There is a very good reason why this is a sensible decision, more of which later.

Our day started as usual yesterday with a trip to the Deli counters of Fenwick’s to stock up on food for in-fest picnic. The picnic has become something of beer fest folklore and we are often asked what delights we have to eat by the staff as we enter. There is a hot food counter in the hall but, hey, we like to be different and despite there being a ban on people bringing in their own food we get away with it every year. This year we had a selection of humus and other dips with plenty of crisps etc to mop up the sloppy goodness, a selection of different olives and some deli prepared sandwiches. Normally we would buy bread and filling to make up our own at the fest but I think we were feeling lazy this year.

Billy and I worked our way through the beers as the girls tackled the cider stall. The advantage the girls have is that not only have they been stalwarts of said stall for several years but my sister Lisa also works on the stall. This means they tend to get a number of freebies throughout the course of the fest and get served instantly no matter how large the queue. Not that you have to wait long to be served and we sampled everything we wanted to. Highlights of the fest included Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby (good every year), Fernandes Newky Black (brewed especially for the fest) and Marble Chocolate Heavy.

So why was it a sensible decision to stay away from the alcohol? Well this morning I received a phone call from my Surgeons secretary asking if I could come in on Wednesday the 12th with a view to having my surgery on the Thursday. So feeling both excited and somewhat nervous at the same time this may be the last time you hear from me for a while, like you would notice the difference. In the very unlikely things don’t go well, and just to wind Gill into an even greater state of stress, I like to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this blog for the last 9 months, it’s been a blast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you all the best, Mate!

The beer fest was not the same on the Friday without your wit and humour. But was made very special with Gill's appearance *hug* to Gill.

Hurry up and get better soon, warcrack will be very quiet without you!

Lol,
Steph (and Billy)