Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Fog On The Tyne

So Ok I guess I have left this long enough and can finally get something coherent(ish) down here. It’s strange the tricks your mind can play when it’s dealing with loss, it is almost like being permanently hung over because your mental speed is so greatly reduced. I was going to say that I must be getting over last weeks events but I know they will haunt me in some form or another for the rest of my life but the fog caused by the initial shock is beginning to lift. Gill, Coral and I are learning to live in our now lop sided dynamic and each of us is coming to terms with the change to our family group. Gill and I have an advantage over Coral because we can discuss our loss and support each other through it whilst she wanders the house crying out for her brother to come out from where ever he is hiding. I long to be able to explain to her why he can’t answer her but all we can do is give her as much attention as we can. If ever there was a sound created to tear shreds from your heart it is the sound coming from Coral at the moment.

Today is my first day back at work today but I don’t feel in any way refreshed from my leave. There were several hundred emails waiting for my return many of which need to be actioned and a nice pile of correspondence currently giving me the evil eye for not having opened it yet. I have had to hit the ground running with meetings lectures and patients all booked in for my attention today, at least it has kept my mind active. To be honest I was expecting to walk into a far bigger shit heap than I have and if I keep at things at the rate I maintaining today I should have the backlog cleared by the beginning of next week at the latest.

Speaking of backlogs there is a whole load of stuff I need to put on here over the next week or so, photos of Barcelona anyone?, so I’ll try and fit that in during my lunch breaks.

No comments: