Thursday, September 01, 2005

Chivers Jelly Comes To Mind

Today is my crystal wedding anniversary, Gill and I have now been married for the grand total of fifteen years. I don’t think either of us would argue that some of those years have been the best of our lives, in fact a couple have downright stunk, but the majority have been great and I’m eternally grateful that we’ve managed to put the bad ones behind us. Had I known the amount of pain I would cause and suffer I’m not sure I would have gone through with the ceremony but I’m very pleased I did and even the worst of times have had their positive effects. If this is beginning to sound like an anti marriage rant it’s not meant to, I would heartily recommend the institution to anyone who wants to marry. The most important thing is the wanting to, without that it will never succeed.

We haven’t bought each other gifts this year because of our impending holiday in Barcelona during which I’m sure gifts will be bought and exchanged. Normally Gill would just get me a CD or DVD I’d been harping on about, I’m a man of simple tastes, and I would have gotten Gill a little something or other. This way we can get each other something a little bit out of the ordinary, although there is a great street off the Ramblas full of CD shops...hmmm. We are also forgoing our usual anniversary meal over here to go somewhere a little bit special over there. I don’t have anything in mind but I’m sure the hotel could point us in the right direction or we could fall back on an old favourite such as Pla.

Last night my dad popped around to drop off a card and some wares from his allotment, some very nice tomatoes and shallots. I always leave the card opening to Gill; she thoroughly enjoys that kind of thing, so I popped into the kitchen to put the kettle on. As I saw her pick up the envelope I thought it looked familiar and she burst out laughing once she had opened it. At this point I just knew it would be the very same card I had bought her but had yet to hand over and sure enough it was. I must admit that my parents’ dedication was a lot cleaner than mine and as you can see below I had plenty of scope to go to town on this one.

Both Gill and I have to admit that had we been the models ‘things’ would look much less taut than they do in the image.


No comments: