Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Gratuitous Pussy Stuff

When I was a youngster and I pestered my mam about getting a cat she always said that once I had a house of my own I could get one. Unfortunately she had not passed this information on to Gill who balked at the idea of her (note not our) furniture becoming a scratching post. However on my thirtieth birthday Gill deposited two little bundles of fluff in my lap and told me she was off to get some litter and food. I was stunned and didn’t know what to say which caused Gill to think she had made a big mistake. Far from it I was entranced by them from the word go.

The little grey bundle of fur instantly became Floyd, the name just fell into place and I couldn’t contemplate him being called anything else. The little peachy, pink, beige bundle of fur proved to be more of a problem. My initial choice of Pink was instantly dismissed by Gill who refused to be seen calling for Pink Floyd in the evening, I guess she had a point. In the end ‘Coral’ kind of fit and so she became, although I still don’t think her name fits as well as Floyd’s does

Tonight Gill and I take them to the vets for their annual booster injections against feline flu and lymphoma. Neither Floyd nor Coral are great fans of the vets but compared to my sister Lisa’s old cat Kali (?Sp), who would fight tooth and nail, they are no real bother to get there. Whilst we are there we will get Floyd’s left eye checked out because it has looked a little...I don’t know...’strange’ over the last few days. It doesn’t seem to be bothering him or anything but we’d feel happier getting it looked at.

As an upholstery/carpet/LP/flesh saving exercise we’ll also get their claws clipped as they are getting particularly razor like at the moment. So, what with the injections, clipping, some litter and dry food we are looking at a bill of £100+ and that’s before we consider any further cost accrued for treatment of Floyd’s eye, if required. Still our lives would be a much emptier place without them so the money is not begrudged, much. It’s also a hell of a lot cheaper than the £300+ it cost us to have Floyd seen to after he was savaged by a dog earlier this year. I recon he was just getting too old and couldn’t evade the attack as he had done a number of times in the past. It’s a bugger this ageing malarkey.

No comments: