Friday, July 29, 2005

Lost for words.

Working as I do at the Northern Centre for Cancer Treatment you get used to death as it is a major concern for all our patients and you become somewhat immune to it’s fear factor. However when it directly affects one of your work mates that immunity can disappear and you feel the hurt more deeply than you would normally.

Today I got news that the brother of one of my colleagues had been killed in a motorcycle accident somewhere in Russia. Jon was taking part in a charity ride for Cancer Research UK from Newcastle in the UK to Newcastle in Australia and had learnt to ride especially for the journey. He was in his mid twenties, far too young for anyone to die, and leaves behind a devastated family and girlfriend to all of whom I offer my most heartfelt sympathies.

No comments: